Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: court doc. are they legal not dated and no stamp

Posted by DK on September 08, 1999 at 11:00:19:

In Reply to: court doc. are they legal not dated and no stamp posted by lea on September 07, 1999 at 19:41:19:

: the doc's i got have no date except for the orig. doc which is attached saying july 13
: but we were just handed this so called court doc today which is 9/6/99 anyway there is
: no stamp showing from courst house is this really a courst doc??? isnt there supposed
: to b a date on it?? thanks ps it was delivereed by some man who didnt ask me to sign anything
: i even asked if i had to sign. he said no please hurry thanks

If your talking about a summons or a notice of petition, you should follow the instructions to answer it. A notice of petition to start an eviction proceeding in New York City must only be a copy of the original on file with the Court. It should show that it was issued by the Clerk of the Court and the date it was issued. If these items do not appear on the copy which was served on you, the copy is defective, but you should raise the issue when you answer. Ignoring it entirely will only lead to a default judgment.

There are excellent explanations of what to do when you get court papers on the TenantNet website.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name