Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord is selling residence.

Posted by Mark Smith on September 09, 1999 at 08:27:35:

In Reply to: Landlord is selling residence. posted by BrianR on September 08, 1999 at 21:48:16:

Do you have a written lease? If so, when does it expire?

If you have a written lease, you have a right to remain, unless there is a clause that permits earlier termination, such as, if the townhouse is sold. If the landlord wanted to sell the townhouse vacant, he might have paid you to leave early. Of course, you should get any agreement in writing.

: CHICAGO - ILLINOIS

: On august 6th, 1999, my landlord told my wife and I that he was selling the townhouse
: that we are currently living in. We were told by him at that time that it was
: OK if my we found another place to live. We ended up buying another, larger townhouse.
: We close on the house the 15th of October.

: On the 3rd of September his wife pulled into our driveway and told us that it was going
: to be our responsibility to find someone to sublet the townhouse until they sold it.
: They had not yet found someone to buy the house and could not afford to have it
: open for a long period of time.

: I am wondering if we are going to be held liable for finding a sublettor even though
: the landlord TOLD us to find somewhere else to live. We are giving the LL 9 weeks between
: the time we were notified and the time that we close on the other property. We have
: extended our closing deadline as far as we possibly can.

: How can we find someone to rent a property that is on the market? This is not even a viable
: solution. Would anyone want to rent a property that might only be available for
: a couple of weeks or so?

: If there is anyone out there who can give me some insight into this situation?
: My wife and I are in somewhat of a bind. My lawyer is out of town and I was
: hoping to get some direction from somewhere.

: Thank you in advance,

: BrianR

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name