Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Seeking advice: my landlord's a jerk and I need to break my lease

Posted by Mark Smith on September 09, 1999 at 08:41:38:

In Reply to: Seeking advice: my landlord's a jerk and I need to break my lease posted by Andrew Jewell on September 08, 1999 at 19:22:19:

Below is a link to DHCR Fact Sheet #7 about assignment and subletting, so that you can get out of your lease. Real Property Law §226-b permits assignment or subletting if your building has four or more units.

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/ora/pubs/html/orafac7.htm

or click on the link at the end of this message

Is your apartment rent stabilized? If so, perhaps you have been overcharged by your lunatic landlord.

:
: I rent a studio apartment in a brownstone building in Brooklyn, NY. I signed a one-year lease back in December 1996, then recently signed a new
: one-year lease that is valid through April 2000. My problem is that I plan to leave New York before my lease expires, and I don't want to pay the
: rent on the remaining months. I realize that, by having signed the lease, I technically owe my landlord a year's worth of rent. I'm also aware that
: I'm not allowed to sublet the apartment without his approval, which I will never get. Consequently, I find myself in a predicament.

: I should note that my living arrangement is highly unusual. My landlord is a therapist, and the building in which I live serves as his office during
: the week. Of the eight units in the building, only three are rented to tenants like myself. The others units are used by my landlord to receive his
: patients during office hours. Because my landlord wishes the building to function as a professional office during the week, as opposed to a
: residential apartment building, he imposes rather draconian rules on his tenants. Essentially, tenants are asked not to make any noise whatsover
: during office hours, which extend as late as 10:00 PM. Thus, no talking in the stairwell, no loud music, no parties, no vacuuming, etc. Past
: experience has taught me that pizza and a few laughs with a friend on a Friday night in my studio will result in a knock on my door and a reprimand
: from my landlord. Of course, the rules don't operate in the ot

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name