Posted by Will on September 20, 1999 at 23:08:03:
In Reply to: Re: waiting for godot (the co-op board) posted by DK on September 20, 1999 at 13:12:06:
board members might not like being directly contacted. In my case it was the managing agent which was the largest delaying factor. I did the calling and chasing.
If there is a problem its best for the shareholder (your future landlord) to do the jumping up and down and calls. Its best you stay out of it no matter how tempted you are.
: : I recently signed a lease on a co-op sublet in Manhattan. My sublet application was submitted to the management company, and
: : supposedly forwarded to the co-op board for approval (or so my broker tells me). The application fee and credit check fee checks were deposited.
: : I have submitted certified checks for first, last, security and the broker fee. The broker is holding on to these while we wait for my interview.
: : I am using a reputable broker so I don't doubt that my money is safe.
: : However, the board met this past Thursday, and still I have heard nothing. They are supposed to schedule an interview so that I can be approved on
: : time for my move-in date of October 1. That is less than 2 weeks from now. I am starting to get very nervous because no references have been called,
: : nor have I been contacted for an interview. I am the only person applying for this particular apartment.
: : Is there a chance that the co-op board will just blow me off and not bother with looking into my application, even though I am supposed to move
: : in a week from Friday??? And never tell me?? According to the management co, I am supposed to wait for the board to schedule an interview.
: : Very nervous about all this. Please post replies here. Thank you.
: Most co-op leases do not have any time limits for the board to act on sublet requests. So I would press diligently to get an answer as soon as possible. The co-op shareholder who is renting you the apartment should also press.
: Of course, there is a fine line between diligently pursuing the application and becoming a nuisance. But, I would telephone the board members and find out exactly what their schedule is and whether there are other issues which could lead them to deny the application. For example, the board may be concerned that there are too many sublets.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup