Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Questions About Lease Applicant

Posted by Angela on September 24, 1999 at 13:59:20:

My boyfriend applied for an apartment 3 years ago with his wife. Recently, he was notified that their application was accepted and the apartment would
be ready in approximately 3 months. In the meantime, my boyfriend and his wife have decided to divorce and there was a spoken agreement that the
apartment would be his. The apartment complex was contacted as to how he could take her name off of the lease and he was told that she would have to
send a notarized letter stating that she is relinquishing her rights to this apartment. When she was asked to do this, she refused. They applied with him as the
applicant and her as the co-applicant. Recently she has signed a new lease at another apartment as well. He wants her name off of the lease for his protection
as well as hers since if one of them moves into the apartment and messes it up, the other would be responsible as well.

Is there a way to get her name off of the lease legally?

Can a person have their name on two leases on the same time?

Is it legal to have his name transferred to another lease and application by himself so that he doesn't lose the three years he's waited already?

How can he get her name off of the lease?

If anyone can help me, PLEASE DO. I need some help badly.

Thank you very much.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name