Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Broker lied to me about my credit report

Posted by Nina on October 17, 1999 at 19:38:39:

A broker, Glenda Ball, at Manhattan Apartments lied to me and told me that my credit was so bad that only one landlord in the city would accept me as a tenant. She made every effort to coerce, threaten, and frighten me into signing a lease on this apartment. I told her that if she couldn't help me find another apartment, I would go through another broker -- and I did.

The second broker managed to find me an apartment in the neighborhood and price range I desired within a couple of days. I had expressed my concern to her about my credit rating, based upon what Glenda Ball of Manhattan Apartments had told me a few weeks ago. The day that we signed the lease on my new apartment, the broker told me that my credit, while not perfect (a few late payments), was not bad at all, and that people with much worse credit ratings than mine were able to easily find apartments.

It seems to me that a broker should not be able to get away with lying about or grossly distorting a client's credit report in order to extort a commision.

Is there any agency which handles such complaints? What, if anything, can I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name