Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: housing violations

Posted by isaac on October 19, 1999 at 09:36:58:

In Reply to: Re: housing violations posted by Cathy on October 19, 1999 at 08:31:23:

Cathy's condescending answer is of no help to you.
Whether or not you are rent-stabilized, you have a right to heat and hot water.
Call immediately the heat/hot water hot line (posted elsewhere on this forum), and explain to them your condition, and the fact that you have a child. They will send an inspector within 24 hours, and will contact the landlord.
Finally, call your Borrough President's office, and ask to speak to someone who can help or recommend probono legal help, if you cannot afford it.

i have lived in my new york city apartment for about 5 years. as of this year someone bought this house.(new landlord) i have taken new and old landlords to court to fix housing violations which include infestation of mice and roaches. on top of that iam not getting no heat and i have a 5 year old child. i have not paid rent for a couple of months to force repairs, which they have not. they were ordered to fix these violations and the court has not taken the right course to force the landlords. they have told me quite frankly don't expect heat. i believe that is against the law, whether i pay rent or not iam entitled to heat. is this correct and what is the next step? i llive in a 2 family house and the landlord lives below me.
: ########
: If you don't have heat, neither does the landlord! If the landlords are new don't you think they need time to get these conditions fixed. It costs money! After buying a house most people do not have the funds to begin repairs immediately. But most tenants don't realize that. That's why your a tenant and not a homeowner. Since you have saved a couple of months rent, why not try to find a place where you don't have this problem. Why do you people want to live in such conditions? Obviously the landlords are nasty if they don't mind living like that. Get your daughter into a safe & clean environment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name