Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Should I get a lawyer or try negotiating myself?

Posted by Mark Smith on October 21, 1999 at 22:37:14:

In Reply to: Should I get a lawyer or try negotiating myself? posted by Laura on October 20, 1999 at 13:33:15:

The landlord's current request for a 12% increase is a strong indication of a willful overcharge. Its taking, in effect, three months' security is another indication. Were your original lease and the proposed renewal lease rent stabilized form leases, with rent stabilization riders? If not, this is yet another indication.

Definitely consult a lawyer. You have a strong chance of getting a $16,000+ rent refund, return of two months' security, a reduction in the amount of the proper one month's security, and a reduction in your annual rent of $5,555.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name