Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Please help me help my self

Posted by Anna on October 27, 1999 at 12:26:14:

In Reply to: Please help me help my self posted by Camille on October 27, 1999 at 00:41:14:

: Well, someone pulled a fast one on me! I've had an oral lease (for nearly 2 years in a 6 family dwelling) that I have been asking to get put down on paper the entire time. My Landlord had no problem taking the rent from me. Until I lost my job Last Year in October.
: I applied for Unemployement Insurance qualified and never received the money I was entitled to. I was put Very far behind in my finances.
: I love my home.I don't want to move. I'm working again now, but I'm still playing catch up.
: I also know that he is renovating the building. The apartment below mine has been gutted and I have a feeling he's trying to get me out
: so he can renovate and jack up the rent. Until then, minor things like replacing athe deadbolt on the front door, he has refused to do
: for over 4 months. I can't afford another move (yet) and I am in a rather large space for one person (by New York standards).
: Twice before I was able to pay the guy 2 or more months worth of rent to make up for a missed payment. I should be able to do the same.
: Tonight I recieved a summons from the landlord via mail. If anyone knows of a lawyer or law firm that can help me at this point,
: please let me know. Otherwise advice from others in this situation would be helpful as well...

: Thank you,
: Camille of Park Slope

Although there are some exceptions, a building with 6 units is usually Rent Stabilized: call DHCR and request a Rent History for your apt ASAP. If the apt is supposed to be RS, you're supposed to have a written lease; file a complaint.

The summons: for non-payment? go to and read about Housing Court, non-pay evictions. nb: it also sounds like you were not served properly, a reason to get their lawsuit dismissed... so is claiming you're not RS if you should be. If you end up in court, you'll probably be able to formally arrange a payment plan without getting evicted, unless what the LL really wants is 'possession', e.g. the apt. Call Met Council for a local tenant group or go to the 'pro se attorney' before you answer the petition, if possible.

Read my other Park Slope answer of 10/27, you might be within the borders of the DFZ: 6th Ave, Bergen, 2nd St, 3rd Ave.: Call f.a.c even if you're not:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name