Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: lease rider with 'intentionally omitted" items

Posted by JJ on October 29, 1999 at 21:52:14:

In Reply to: lease rider with 'intentionally omitted posted by cc on October 29, 1999 at 18:23:17:

: I took over lease from a previous tenant after being a roommate. I've been signing renewal leases eash year (rent-stabilized). The landlord has attached a rider to this year's renewal lease with several numbered items "intentionally omitted." I cannot find the numbered items in question in the lease renewal sheet. Somone has told me I should also have the original lease somewhere, but the former roommate never gave it to me and is many years long gone anyway. How can I find out what those "omitted" items are before I sign my renewal?

I never sign any rider except the window-guard/children thing. If you've been getting the DHCR approved lease-renewal forms for years without riders, don't sign this one. The RS laws say that your landlord cannot put anything into a renewal lease that wasn't in the original lease or that is worse or more restrictive than in the original. The only thing that can be worse for the tenant and better for the landlord is the amount of monthly rent. Take your previouss renewals and thiss new one with rider to DHCR or a Tenant Clinic, they'll read them and probably tell you the same thing. PS: never, never tell your landlord you lost your first lease! Ask a neighbor in the buildding to compare this rider with theirs for the missing pieces. Remember: don't sign it unless it gives you new services/rights/etc.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name