Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Un-regulated, No Lease: Complicated Question

Posted by David S. on November 08, 1999 at 16:07:04:

I have been living for 5 years in an apartment in Brooklyn that is un-regulated / not rent-stabalized. I also never have had a lease, as my landlords were "friends" when I moved in and we maintained a verbal lease. 2 years ago we negotiated our first increas in rent with no problem. This past week they indicated they wanted to raise my rent again, which seemed appropriated after a further 2 years. Instead, they gave me a letter stating "that they intended to raise my rent by 50%, and do extensive renovations to my unit. should i decide to stay in the apartment I would begin to pay the new increase immediately, which means that is effective DURING the renovations. should i choose not to remain in the unit with these conditions I must vacated the apartment in 2 months.

Q: is it legal in ANY situation to just announce you wish to renovate someone's apartment that they are living in, regarless of whether or not they have a written lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name