Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: broken window

Posted by alice on December 07, 1999 at 17:02:33:

In Reply to: Landlord refusing to repair (rent stabilized Astoria apt) posted by Lara on December 07, 1999 at 15:17:26:

: Last week, I was in my bathroom having just finished a shower when my bathroom window broke.
: It was on a particular cold day, and I think the heat from the shower and the cold
: from the outside created a problem. Either way, I was no where near the window,
: and hadn't touched it. When my super came to look at it, he refused to believe
: I hadn't done anything to it, and told me to speak to the landlord directly about
: repairs. The landlord responded by accusing me of breaking it, then trying to
: get him to repair it. He said there was no way the window could have broken
: this way. He's planning on having it repaired, then billing me for it. What, if
: anything, can I do about this?

: Also, there is a clause in my lease that allows the landlord unlimited access to
: the apartment even for basic repairs. Is this legal?

call HPD 960-4800: they inspect fairly quickly for broken windows in winter.

go to the home page on Tenant.Net, search under 'window': you should find a section of the HMD or MDL which says that the bathroom and kitchen windows MUST BE tempered or wired (or something equally shatter proof and strong) glass.

while you're there, read about effective complaint-letter writing in the basic tenants' rights sections.

for exactly what access a landlord gets in NYC, search 'access' in this forum: someone quoted it recently.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name