Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: pay rent into escrow after filing complaints with DHCR?

Posted by Jerry on January 05, 1999 at 23:06:44:

In Reply to: pay rent into escrow after filing complaints with DHCR? posted by dave on January 05, 1999 at 19:03:39:

There is no provision that allows a tenant to essentially withold rent from the landlord simply because a tenant files a rent overcharge complaint. (Putting rent money into escrow deprives the landlord of the use of your rent money.) You don't need to resort to an escrow account because if you win a rent overcharge complaint you can convert the DHCR order to a judgment and collect your money as you can any other money judgment -- including having the sheriff sell any assets of the landlord, such as the building you live in.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name