Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

breaking lease

Posted by help on January 10, 1999 at 14:38:11:

I signed a year-long lease in July of 1998 for a condo in CT. In October, I accepted a job offer out-of-state and notified the landlord that I would be moving in Nov and needed to break the lease (he lives in CA and the property is managed by a local realtor). He said that was fine as long as the unit was rented again.

It was not rented by the end of November and I paid December's rent, even though I was no longer living there. It is now January, I did not pay January's rent, and the landlord is threatening "legal action." He still has my $2000 security deposit. I absolutely cannot afford to continue to pay rent while maintaining a new residence in another state. I find it strange it has not rented: it is in a high-demand area (Bridgeport-New Haven corridor).

I read on a realtor's web page that landlords can submit debts to collection agencies - is this true?

Could someone advise me as to any rights I may have, especially in view of a job transfer?

Thank you very much

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name