Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: housing court come back to haught

Posted by DK on January 15, 1999 at 19:00:03:

In Reply to: housing court come back to haught posted by H. Scott on January 13, 1999 at 19:50:01:

I have represented thousands of tenants in rent strike and repair lawsuits. Only twice have I ever learned of tenants who had to deal with the fact that they were parties to housing court litigation when they went to rent new apartments. In both of those cases I wrote a letter to the new landlord to explain the situation and both tenants were able to enter the new leases.

There were three other clients who needed letters to obtain mortgages when they went to buy co-op apartments. Again, all I needed to do was write a letter to explain the circumstances.

A good landlord would be foolish to refuse to rent to a tenant simply because the tenant had to go to court to enforce his or her rights against a bad landlord. If a landlord is worried about getting sued for not providing services, then maybe you should think twice before moving there.

On the other hand, I think it would be a great idea to include landlord database reporting under the laws that protect consumers from erroneous credit reports.

: Several years ago I ended up in housing court as a result of financial and medical hardships. I paid all monies due as required (within one year)by a stip. One week prior to my last payment I received a notice of eviction from the marshall. I moved out immediately. I am currently looking for an apt. and the housing court incident comes up when a tenant registry check takes place. Where can I get help to have this removed?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name