Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Reference Check of Landlords

Posted by Nick on January 18, 1999 at 09:57:53:

In Reply to: Re: Reference Check of Landlords posted by John E. Marre on January 11, 1999 at 00:39:52:

: Thank you for your response. You are so right! Tenants wishing to post any information on their specific landlord should be concise and never state anything that they cannot substantiate in a court of law. I can appreciate the concern of TenantNet. And this is a wonderful service for us all. We need no one who simply wishes to destory it. (Personal note: I would suppose that landlords would wish to do so quicker and more-so than tenants).
: As for the item of "slander": I'd be interested in knowing who would be at risk? The fact is, TenantNet is not the poster to the Forum. Please advise, as I am sincerely interested and would greatly like to contribute. The truth of the matter is, tenants need a reference for potential landlords, and the services of TenantNet are invaluable where this is concerned.
: The best to you, TenantNet. And, by gratitude.
: JEM

: : We had worked on such an idea a while back, but due to some disinterest,
: : technical problems and the intervening Rent Wars, it remained on the
: : back burner. However, this forum can and does serve such a function. But
: : we ask people, when mentioning specific landlords, to keep their comments
: : related to the business practices of the landlord, state facts or clearly
: : identify them as opinions. All such references should indicate it's
: : coming from tenants, although one does not have to leave an email
: : address. All it takes is one LL claiming slander. Best to be substantive
: : and specific.

One element of defamation is that the person claiming to have been slandered must have suffered damages; i.e., his reputation was damaged. Given the low esteem in which New Yorkers hold residential landlords, I wonder if any of them would be entitled to damages no matter what was said about them. Aren't their reputations so low that they can't sink any further? I mean, how many NYC juries would award a residential landlord damages because a tenant said something derogatory about them?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name