Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Subletting

Posted by Liz on January 21, 1999 at 09:46:00:

Here's a warning...I sub-let my apartment for 4 months (with Landlords permission) ...the subtenant had good rferences from her new job etc. She paid the rent and deposit up front (which I used to pay the rent) and opened up an account for the deposit ...a lease was signed for the 4 months and I gave her keys. The day I was leaving she called to say she had changed her mind...then 2 hours later she called to say never mind...she would move in. I left and two months into this period I receive a phone call from an attorney saying she wants her money back as she never occupied the apartment...after a conversation...where I said I was too far away to come back and that this was the first I heard about this and she still had the keys...he called back to say would I return the deposit...which I agreed to and he said he would send a letter to that effect along with the keys. Never heard back. I returned back to find a letter from a new attorney waiting for me suing me for all the rent and claiming she had left the keys in front of my apartment door (Sometime around the second month). Which now I had to change my locks as I never received them.
Even though, I never received anything in writting...nor the keys...I am being told she has a good chance of recovering the rent money (which I don't have ..as I paid the rent with it). What a mess this is . Help

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name