Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: noise from upstairs apt as described is " not reasonable "

Posted by Sarah on January 22, 1999 at 18:22:45:

In Reply to: Re: noise from upstairs apt as described is " not reasonable " posted by voice of reason on January 20, 1999 at 23:22:26:

I also have a problem with noise from upstairs apartments. Although I am a condo owner, not a tenant, I would assume that the same laws apply so I thought I'd post here in hopes that someone might help. After we moved into our apartment, we found that we can hear EVERYTHING from the two apartments above ours. This includes their television, stereo, conversations (when they are in one part of their apartment), footsteps (very loud), even their cats running across the apartment. We have spoken to them, and one tenant had tried to be considerate but the others were unresponsive. Thier television is so loud in the evenings that my husband and I often retreat to the bedroom rather than be subjected to the action movies that they watch. They have wood floors on most of the floor above our apartment with a single area rug. Our condo regulations state that at least 75% of the apartment must be carpeted, but with the area rug it is possible they meet that minimum. However, the area rug doesn't do much to muffle the sound from their giant TV or anything else, and they move it out of the way to vacuum, often disturbing my baby son during his morning nap. Do I have any recourse at all or are we stuck? I am really at the end of my rope.
Thanks very much for any advice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name