Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is it time to be proactive and hire an attorney?

Posted by Wayne on January 24, 1999 at 02:05:13:

I am involved in an seemingly never-ending battle against my landlord who, ever since he took possesion of the building years ago, has tried EVERYTHING to get me out of my rent controlled apartment. The details are far to many to document here - suffice to say I pretty much live on TenantNet research, which brings me to my latest problem. I want to end his harassment of me, discard my "pro-se attorney" persona and get on with my LIFE! To accomplish this I need a desisive remedy that I fear only a lawyer can argue for, but I'm afraid that I can't afford a lawyer, even though I think my case is well documented and strong. Do lawyers for L&T cases ever work on commision? For a percentage of awards? Will they consider non-professional assistance from me to help keep their costs down? In response to my rent witholding alleging breach of warranty, harrasment, discrimination, etc., he has sent notice asking for the arrears. He will soon move to petition for eviction. I think my counterclaim is strong,and I have written out an extensive report documenting which laws he has violated and when, service decreases,HP Actions, his yearly, frivolous litigation,etc., but I don't have the "know how" to counterclaim effectively for "real" results.
I can't make my "logical" arguments into "legal" ones. What can I do? I think I could stop my landlord's insanity through penalties if my case is presented correctly, but I am afraid. Please help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name