Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Enforcement of no-pet clause with regards to cats

Posted by John E. Marre on January 30, 1999 at 10:30:32:

In Reply to: Re: Enforcement of no-pet clause with regards to cats posted by W Cramer on January 29, 1999 at 23:34:20:

: Don't know the exact count yet...but If I were to venture a guess it would
: be more than 50 apartments

In a bldg of 50 units (or more), chances are pretty good that there are more felines in residence than yours. Difficult to confirm. But you might want to start by simply saying to your new neighbors that you've been considering getting a cat and see what their reaction to it is.

Unfortunatelty,
: just because they got through doesn't mean I can but it can indicate just how strict the owner is.

True. But on the other hand, the cats that are there may be with long-term tenants. The LL might be suspicious of new tenants. Check to see how long the other folks have been in the bldg too.

Also, since I told the Rental agent about the cat (its two btw)
: and the rental agent is exclusive to the building (meaning
: his financial arrangement with the super makes him exclusive I suppose).
: I might be able to argue that an agent of the owner knew from the start.

Might be helpful. But do remember that agents are agents and quite often known to tell un-truths, even under oath in a court of law. It could end up "he said - you said". (Just something to ponder. Better to be prepared for any circumstance)

: I'm trying not to worry because I won't know till I know..and I'm taking comfort
: in the fact that pet cases seem to be primarily about dogs...in the archives I
: searched at least..

Major concerns of LL's, (when it comes to cats) is the spraying. It can ruin floors and the odor can get into plasterboard walls and such. If you keep your place in good order, (and in good odor), there shouldn't be any problem.
I've lived in places where the lease said "no pets". Once, I had the nerve to ask if that included parakeets, canaries, gold fish and monkeys. One LL laughed and said, in good humor, "No. Just dogs." But you should have seen some of the looks I got otherwise.
Good luck. Hope this helped. Let us know how it turns out.

:
: thanks for the responds

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name