Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: security deposit? Attorney General's form

Posted by Anna on February 04, 1999 at 13:52:13:

In Reply to: Painting out of security deposit? posted by C Luckman on February 03, 1999 at 12:58:53:

: HELP anyone,
: Our ex-landlord has taken paint AND her labor for painting
: out of our security deposit. I have heard that she cannot do
: this as it is normal wear and tear. We lived in the appt. for
: over three years.

While at the Attorney General's website , I found this info & form for you. I'll copy the preface & conclusion here, and try to correctly use the link box below.

New York State Office of the Attorney General
Eliot Spitzer
Consumer Protection Bureau
120 Broadway, 3rd floor
New York, New York 10271
(212) 416-8345 (phone)
(212) 416-6003 (fax)


The Attorney General investigates complaints that a landlord has failed to place
security deposits in trust accounts or to pay interest on rent security deposits. We also
try to assist tenants who complain that a landlord failed to return the rent security
when the tenant moved out. If, however, the landlord refuses to return your security
deposit because your landlord says that you failed to pay rent or damaged the
apartment, you must generally go to Small Claims Court to resolve the dispute. Before
forwarding this complaint to our office, you must attempt to resolve the matter with
your landlord.

Please complete thsi form only if your attempt to resolve your complaint with the
landlord has been unsuccessful. Each tenant should submit a separate complaint

You must print out a copy and send it in with all relevant documentation. Relevant
documentation could include a COPY (not the original) of your lease, receipt or
other evidence that you paid a security deposit and any other pertinent letters or

Read the following/Signing below:

Important: In order to resolve your complaint, we may send a copy of this form to the parties you named.

In filing this complaint, I understand that the Attorney General is not my private attorney, but represents the
public to enforce laws designed to protect the public from misleading or unlawful business practices. I
also understand that if I have any questions concerning my legal rights or responsibilities, I should contact
a private attorney. I have no objection to the contents of thsi complaint being forwarded to the landlord the
complaint is directed against. The above complaint is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

I also understand that any false statement made in this complaint is punishable as a Class A
Misdemeanor under Section 175.30 and/or Section 210.45 of the Penal Law.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name