Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: ( A RICO ARTICLE) You obviously have no idea what RICO is and how it works

Posted by satori on February 05, 1999 at 09:37:30:

In Reply to: You obviously have no idea what RICO is and how it works posted by MikeW on February 04, 1999 at 13:47:38:

Heres part of and article I found on RICO another way the new law RICO
is applied, I just found the article, I
think it confirms my thoughts about. RICO having other applications
then what you stated.

Sweatshop Watch Press Release
January 13, 1999

15,000 Workers Living in Indentured Servitude While Producing Goods "Made in the USA" More Than $1 Billion Sought -- Defendants Include The Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, May Company, Sears and Wal-MartIn the first-ever attempt to hold U.S. retailers and manufacturers accountable for mistreatment of workers in foreign-owned factories operating on U.S. soil, litigation was filed today in California and Saipan against 18 high-profile U.S. clothing manufacturers andretailers, including The Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, The Limited, J.C. Penny, May Company, Sears and Wal-Mart.
 These companies are accused of violating federal law by engaging in a "racketeering conspiracy" using indentured labor --predominantly young women from Asia -- to produce clothing on the island of Saipan. (Saipan is part of the Northern MarianaIslands, a U.S. Commonwealth in the South Pacific.)Their foreign-owned garment contractors in Saipan are also charged with failing to pay overtime and ongoing intolerable work andliving conditions. In the last five years, contractors in Saipan have received more than 1,000 citations for violating U.S. Occupational
Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards, many of which characterized capable of causing death or serious injury.

: RICO only applies to situations where you have a group of people participating in an organized pattern of bribery (illegal version, campaign contributions don't count), extortion, theft, or violence, or other criminal wrongdoing. There have been some isolated instances where this has happened in landlord-tenant disputes, but it is very rare.

: Usually, even if a landlord is abusive, he is only violating civil, as opposed to criminal laws. This means he can be sued, but not arrested. And most housing court cases are straight up and down eviction type proceedings. Even if the are legally interesting, they only involve civil law matters.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name