Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: noise

Posted by John E. Marre on February 09, 1999 at 17:17:52:

In Reply to: noise posted by Jay on February 09, 1999 at 14:41:18:

I had a very similar situation not too very long ago. Mine was the reverse: the tenant above me. Unlike your neighbor, I tried communicating with the upstairs neighbor by leaving a little, friendly note under the door. When the repsonse was a viciously attacking memo taped to my door, I waited until I had the opportunity to discuss the matter in the hallway with him (witnesses are always very good in these cases. BUT KEEP YOUR OWN COOL. It can be trying, but don't make it look like YOU'RE the lunatic.) Of course, the accusations flew and I was called by several names, nouns, adjectives and adverbs that I won't include here. I wrote to the landlord, certified, return receipt, including all the epic details of the situation. The landlord forced the neighbor to carpet 80 percent of the floor. He found the other 20 percent to make noise on. I called the police. He called the police. I took him to court. It went on for almost a year!
Breakdown? I moved out. They found the neighbor in the midst of a nervous breakdown several months later. (Does this tell you anything?)
Solution? Face-to-face "discussion" (preferably with witnesses) is your best first line defense. Second line defense: turn the tables and call the police when the pounding on your floor begins. File complaints with the police.
Good luck to you. I understand how you feel.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name