Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Late fee rent payment.

Posted by John E. Marre on February 19, 1999 at 01:17:23:

In Reply to: Re: Late fee rent payment. posted by john on February 17, 1999 at 13:23:52:

: You sound like a landlord.
I am not. You'll simply have to take my word on that.

: I NEVER had to pay a late fee. While my landlord adds fees to my late account, once we go to court, the Judge states it is NOT part of the rent.

Nothing was mentioned in the original posting about anyone going to court. Please re-read the question as it was presented and the re-read my response. Landlords CAN and MAY charge "late fees" on rents when paid after a due date. And, they DO.

: Of course I have a reason for withholding rent, but he hasn't been able to collect.

I'm sure you have reason for withholding rent. I'm even more certain that there are too many more tenants who have similar or better reasons for withholding theirs also. That wasn's an issue in the original posting.
Whether "he" has or has not been able to collect is a matter you might find depends upon a judge's decision. Let's hope you never have to be in that position.

I don't usually like to clutter the server with repeating text, however, I'm keeping the message you refer to attached here. Please read it.....
And simply because I happen to be aware of some of my rights as a tenant, and some of the rights of landlords does not imply that I am a landlord. I merely have made it my business to keep abreast of the laws governing my home. Before you choose to slap insults on people, I'd suggest you do likewise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

: : : Could the landlord charge late payment fees?
It can.
: : : Is it legal?
It is
: : How much will be enought if it is legal?
That might depend on a lot of factors. If you feel the charge is too much, you can file a complaint with housing and/or refuse to pay and take the ll to court and have the courts decide if "it" (the landlord) is charging you too much.
: : : I'll appreciate so much, so much.
Good luck to you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name