Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord wants to raise rent 20%! Help, need info!

Posted by satori on February 22, 1999 at 14:08:50:

In Reply to: Re: Landlord wants to raise rent 20%! Help, need info! posted by isaac on February 22, 1999 at 13:49:42:

Hire a lawyer if you can though typically the landlord goes to housing
court when you file a dhcr complaint.Hire a lawyer to fill out the
dhcr complaint . You don't have to go to dhcr. All the stuff I read said
dhcr can be pro landlord a lawyer to fill ou the form $200
it will be worth it, always hire a lawyer before you fill out any forms
with dhcr or the courts.

: :
: 1) Get your apt. rent history: call DHCR at718-739-6400, ask for "Request for Access to Public Records" form, and fill out. You'll get the rent history about 2 weeks later.
: For quicker action, go to DHCR at Gertz Plaza, Jamaica, Queens, with your present lease, and get printout.

: 2) If apt. is rent-stabilized, fill out "Tenant's Complaint of Owner's Failure to Renew Lease", form RA-90. The landlord MUST give you a lease that starts 120-150 days later, with rent increases 2% (one year) or 4% (two years) (your choice; always pick 2 years, if you are going to stick around). He is NOT allowed to ask for retro-active starting date!
: Again, for quicker action, you can get free advise from a DHCR counselor, and fill out appropriate form, at DHCR office, at the same time as when getting the rent history.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name