Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: landlord hasn't registered bldg. since 1985: DHCR & new tenant group

Posted by Anna on February 24, 1999 at 09:52:40:

In Reply to: Re: landlord hasn't registered bldg. since 1985 posted by DK on February 23, 1999 at 20:12:46:

Some other suggestions: call DHCR: they sent me a summary version computer printout of the registration history of my apt thru the mail: once it was even certified: ask, you might receive!
Also: goto a Tenant clinic, bring all your papers & the DHCR report for them to review (I felt safer after a face-to-face conference): see list here on here's a new one: Housing Law Workshop, Wed 7:30-9:30pm, Warren Hall, 410 W 116th St, Rm 304, 854-4312.
PS: do some homework first! Use the search features here on on the Message Board & on the Main Menu for more info; also: try other websites: DHCR (, RGB (Rent Guidelines Board:, etc.

: Yes, it appears that your apartment is still subject to rent stabilization unless there is some obscure exception, such as an expiring tax abatement, substantial rehabilitation after 1974 or financing by a state or federal agency. These exceptions, although possible, are not very likely.

: Failure to register bars an owner from applying for or collecting any increase in excess of the legal regulated rent in effect at the time of the last registration. However, the filing of a late registration results in the prospective elimination of sanctions for any overcharge that would have otherwise been legal but for the late filing of the registration. (See New York City Rent Stabilization Law 26-517(e).

: Translation: Pay only the last registered rent. If you pay a higher amount and the landlord subsequently files a late registration to correct the problem, you do not get back any increase which you already paid (to the extent that the increase would have otherwise been legal). If you are wrong and the landlord is entitled to collect the higher amount, you can always pay it once a court determines that you owe it, although it is possible that you could also be charged the landlord's legal fees if there is a legal fee provision in the lease. If you are right, the landlord will not be able to collect any old increases which you did not pay, although once the landlord does register, the landlord will be able to begin collecting the increases.

: If the difference is substantial, you should seriously consider hiring an attorney. The legal issue is somewhat sophisticated, even for some housing court judges. If there is a legal fee provision in your lease, the landlord will have to pay your legal fees if you are successful in the lawsuit.

: : My bldg hasn't been registered with the DHCR since 1985. My current landlord bought the place in 1991. Can I assume that all of the apartments are regulated in 1999? It was built before 1974, has 8 units and no co-ops.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name