Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Broken pipes, mice and an unresponsive NYC landlord

Posted by dean on February 25, 1999 at 17:57:05:

In Reply to: Re: Broken pipes, mice and an unresponsive NYC landlord posted by Anna on February 25, 1999 at 11:15:21:

We are definitely moving more than 100 miles and the pipes actually are
fixed--since we couldn't get ahold of our landlord, the super called a
real plumber. If the landlord had responded, I'm sure that they would have
sent one of their own "workmen"--one of the guys who made a mess out of the
pipes in the first place (I have no idea if these guys have any sort of
license.)
Does the 100 mile thing make any difference? Thanks for your advice.

: OK: renting from coop-sponsor or other holder of unsold shares; lease ends 6/30; moving out-of-state (more than 100 miles?) mid-May; mouse holes & plumbing finally fixed (really? a Licensed Plumber this time?).

: My suggestions: Keep the ball in your court:

: Send them a registered return-receipt letter with all the details, including action you will take if they don't respond...etc: probably is a good sample here on Tenant.net or on Nolo.com

: File a Small Claims action ASAP for $3000. Don't request a judge: use the mediator: your case might get heard before you leave town. see Small claims info on tenant.net for starters.

: Sue them for rent abatement for months of mice... (how & where: I'm not sure: read the Housing Court section on Tenant.net: Coop subtenants are still TENANTS)

: They might sue you for the Feb rent: it should be in Housing Court: get advice on your defenses & counterclaims before you file an answer; insist that the case get assigned to the special Coop-Condo Resolution Part: expect a quick settlement, if by then you have withheld more that your $3000.
: If they do sue, or if you want them to: Don't pay any more rent: Feb & March will cover the $3000; how much security deposit do they have? don't expect them to send it to send after you move out-of-state. Search on 'security' or 'deposit' here on the message board for a better idea of what to expect.

: Another consideration : letting them sue you might affect your credit rating & future rental references.

: Of course: read as much as you can first then contact a Tenant Advocate or a lawyer thru the New York State Bar Assoc $25.00 referral service.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name