Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help! Need advice on letting family have my rental apt.

Posted by Will on February 27, 1999 at 09:37:24:

In Reply to: Help! Need advice on letting family have my rental apt. posted by Cerilene on February 25, 1999 at 19:28:52:

First with rent stabilized apartments you can have anybody living with you. They just don't have legal right to the lease. As for family members they have to be brothers, sisters, mom, dad, children, or life partners who can prove emotional and financial interdependence and need to living with you in the apartment at least two years.
For your sister I suggest you try to have her added to the lease. Then she would be able to bring in a roomate legally.

Any lease clause for a stabilized apartment the tells you can't have a roommate or limits the number of people in the apartment to you...is ILLEGAL. Its not enforcable.

Also by law you're allowed to sublease with the landlord. You can try to sublease to your sister as well. If the landlord turns down a reasonable sublease request (good credientials, credit history) then you're entitled to give 30 day notice to break the lease AND get security back.

Read about all this on this site.....area call tenant information.

Will
:I am in the middle of a two-year lease in a rent-stabilized building where I have been for 6 years. The lease says I may not sublet, but that I can allow immediate family to live there.

: I would like to let my sister (and her friend) move in when I move out. I plan to collect money from them each month and send the landlord myself.

: However, my sister's friend is concerned that this arrangement is illegal. And frankly, so am I.

: Are they going to have to pretend to be lesbian lovers? Or do I have a case?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name