Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Broker says Management Company wants first month + security in cash

Posted by Nick on March 03, 1999 at 14:34:55:

In Reply to: Re: Broker says Management Company wants first month + security in cash posted by John E. Marre on January 29, 1999 at 00:23:54:

: : Can I report them and still take the apartment?

: Of course you can. Unless you're hoping to get the "reward", you can report anonymously to the IRS (I did it several years ago when my lanlord asked for rent in cash. At first, $360/mo was OK with me. But, within the first year, my rent kept increasing and when I finally got fedup, the rent had gone to $500/mo. All within one year! I reported it to the IRS and moved out... because I couldn't afford the constanct increases... 3 moths later. Nobody knew about my report.) Go for it!
: Also, I suggest you find another apartment. No, it doesn't sound kosher.

You don'have to report anonymously to the IRS. They will not reveal the name of any informer. Those whose names become public almost always reveal themselves. All reporting anonymously will do is deprive you of any chance of a reward. If you really want the apartment and the broker insists on cash, ask who gets the Form 1099, Report of Cash Transaction.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name