Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Mysterious activity

Posted by Shelley on March 08, 1999 at 11:51:39:

In Reply to: Re: Mysterious activity posted by Sam on March 07, 1999 at 13:10:02:

Sam, thank you. We are just now checking with the Attorney General, and OAG etc. You're right all the way 'round. And I sincerely hope you too find the answers to your own problem. There are so many layers to everyone's dilemmas. Wonder if finding a common ground, no matter how mundane, would furnish us all with the dynamic we need to defend ourselves as a whole.

Unlike you or Satori, I have been too timid to allow my more radical side a chance to fight for me. I wish now that I had done so earlier. If anything comes of these incredibly informative boards, I hope it's the education most of us seem to lack. We who have access to the NET are lucky, however those who don't, but need to get this defensive tenant knowledge, are becoming the unecessary casualties of landlords who, in some cases, may not know how to play the game better but just play, banking on the tenant knowing less or nothing at all about their rights.

I would be willing to contribute time, to somehow pass on the information we're sharing to newer tenants, because THAT is a soft spot that landlords are manipulating to their great advantage. Younger tenants seem to want apartments badly enough, in NY at least, to be willing to endure almost anything to be here. But they're grumbling now, and that's good!

I still think that the "Habitation or Coexistence" issue that the Met Council allude's to has strong merit. Only because it seems to offer a wide sweeping basis, on which tenants could at least be common and strong were they willing to mount an effort.

: : Forgive my indulging myself, but it's exciting to think that there are a couple of issues here, then. Wonder if tenants en mass, could bark up one or the other of these trees and band together 'cross this city, even interest legal representation that is sympatico? Legal IS the way to go, the game to play is it not?

: : First, the foundational, legal issue of the landlord being remis in his having to notify all tenants of co-op/condo plan.

: First: did either of you two Shelley's call the Attorney General to see if any plans have been filed?

: Second: if filed, tell the OAG: they prosecute violations of involving fraud and harassment (trying to drive people out is harassment) concerning coop/condo conversions.

: Third: if no plans have been filed: see harassment on Tenant.net: it is also a violation of the Rent Controll and/or Rent stabilization Code.

: Fourth: if you get to know the new people: maybe they will be willing to file overcharge complaints, etc., to help out people like K.O. even if they are transients.

: Whoaa! I've learned way too much about these things in general, wish I had found more about my own situation...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name