Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Need help....

Posted by Gloria on March 09, 1999 at 17:34:21:

I live in a rent-controlled apartment.

I have complained for years to my landlord and have had numerous visits
from housing inspectors because of falling plaster (ceilings) and leaks
in several parts of the apt. Nothing has ever been repaired although the
landlord was issued several summones (sp?)

Last week, my 13 month old was determined to have lead poisoning.

The DOH has decided that the apt is unsanitary because of the leaks and
they advise me to relocate. My options are a shelter or a safe-home and
neither of these is very appealing.

My questions are:

1. Does my landlord have any responsibility to relocate me until the
problems are repaired?

2. I read somewhere that the HPD is supposed to report any lead
danger(falling plaster) in homes that were built before 1960 and have a
child under 7 living there, to the DOH. Is this true?

3. Is there anything I should do to protect rent control if I do relocate

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name