Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: NYC Rent Stab to EXPIRE: you mean Rent Control?

Posted by Anna on March 20, 1999 at 12:22:10:

In Reply to: NYC Rent Stabilization Laws to EXPIRE posted by John E. Marre on March 19, 1999 at 00:49:40:

: FYI: I recently read that rent stabilization laws in NYC are due to expire on March 31, 2000.
: 37 of 51 City Council Members are due to be ousted because of term limits and they cannot run for re-election. We all know this means they can sell tenants up the river and off to the gallows of landlords.
: There are some of the 37 who have been offered or are considering jobs in real estate when they are "retired". So, they stand to gain one hell of a lot by trashing rent stabilization.
: Anyone have any more info on this?
: I think it's time to start acting on saving the stabilization laws. After all, look what happened when they trashed "control".
: Input, replies, responses welcome.

Rent Stabilization is safe until 6/15/2003: we got a six-year reprise with the otherwise pro-landlord Rent Regulation Reform Act of 1997.

But the NYC Rent CONTROL law, safeguarding 70,000 leases, will expire within a year.

Nevertheless: I agree that tenants should become more pro-active, myself included, now.

Save Rent Control: many of these tenants are elderly and/or infirm.

Reduce the vacancy increases in Rent Stabilization: they reward abusive practices, illegal harassment and evictions by landlords. They are not necessary: landlords have always been able to apply for a 'hardship' increase if they are not making x% on their investments...

Stop blaming rent regulations for the low vacancy rates and/or high 'market rents': no new housing built since 1971 (it is 1971, isn't it?) is regulated unless the builders voluntarily traded in tax abatements and/or zoning variances for same.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name