Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can lanlord take you to court if you are making payments?

Posted by John E. Marre on March 23, 1999 at 22:56:42:

In Reply to: Re: Can lanlord take you to court if you are making payments? posted by Beckie on March 23, 1999 at 09:36:01:

I knew someone in Clinton (county) who took the landlord to court for something similar. In his case, he broke the lease, with 30-days' notice, moved and the landlord came after him. He took the landlord to court, told the judge that he had notified the landlord that he was leaving and never got any response. So, he moved.
While waiting for the court date, the landlord had rented the apartment.
The judge said that the landlord was just being greedy and threw the case out.
Question: If there are two other people still living in the apartment, why are you still responsible for the rent?
If you were splitting the rent 3 ways, it would behoove the roommates to find a third to find a thrid split and not you.
Unless yours is the only name on the lease. In this case, you might want to make arrangements with the other 2 to have the lease responsibilties transferred, take the case to court anyway and explain that you have moved, have other responsibilities, could not stay in the former place because the noise put your education in jeopardy.
I'm sorry that I couldn't give any more info. I hope this has helped some.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name