Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Illegal apartment??

Posted by Mark Smith on March 24, 1999 at 07:30:00:

In Reply to: Illegal apartment?? posted by JohnF on March 22, 1999 at 22:15:33:

The clickable link below to a February 1998 FAQ from the Queens Borough President about illegal apartment conversions is an excellent starting point. However, I question the information about the landlord of an illegally-converted one-family or two-family house bringing an ejectment proceeding in New York City Civil Court if the TAXES are less than $25,000. I believe that the value of the property -- not the taxes -- has to be less than $25,000. If the value is higher than $25,000, the ejectment proceeding would have to be brought in New York State Supreme Court.

: What constitutes a multiple dwelling. I live in a 2 family (??) house. The owners prior to this LL constructed an addition of 2 more apartments in the rear of the house, it was converted from a garage. The certificate of occupancy doed not reflect this. This is a corner house, with multiple addresses, (Avenue and street).

: My questions are:

: 1) What is the status of this house? What catagory does this house fall into.(Private ??? or something else ???)

: 2) I received a holdover petition today, and it claims this a 2 family house, but there are the 2 illegal apartments, one of which is occupied. What is my recourse?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name