TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about reporting noise

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about reporting noise

Postby mpgy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 pm

I just moved into the top floor of a new apt (old pre-war building). It was dead quiet the first two weeks, but then last weekend there was a horrible overpowering sound outside in the courtyard and the windows started shaking and the floors were vibrating and we thought it was helicopters. Turns out it's a generator on the building next door. This has gone on for over a week and it gets louder on the weekend, with the worst of it being from Sunday morning throughout the day and it's approaching midnight as I'm writing this. The never ending sound and vibrations are making us physically ill and it's impossible to hear any music or TV in the apartment, much less focus on any kind of reading or work because it never lets up. I spoke to one person about it and he didn't seem to believe me. This courtyard is bordered by several low rise pre-war buildings so we can't possibly be the only one hearing it. Has anyone experienced this problem before and if so if and how were you able to stop it? Is it as simple as calling 311 and reporting the problem?
mpgy

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 am

This sounds a lot like a problem we've been experiencing for several months. LL installed what I believe may be a large external air conditioning unit that runs 24/7. I first noticed it this winter when the building began to vibrate Now that the weather is warm and our windows are open the noise is much more disturbing. I've even had nightmares that the building is collapsing!

Would you mind sending me a private message telling me which neighborhood you live in? It's possible we're hearing the same noise.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby TenantNet » Mon May 20, 2013 2:16 am

You call 311 to get it on record, but don't expect much. It's the responsibility of the NYC EPA, but in the Bloomberg/Quinn years, not much gets done.

If the noise bothers you, then it bothers other tenants, especially those in the building where the noise is originating. I would speak to your neighbors (do you have a tenants' association?)

It's not your landlord, but still a tenant group might be able to call on the elected officials.

I would also speak to the tenants in the building where it occurs.

Generators are good in the case of hurricanes or other natural disasters. But we haven't seen one this month that I recall. Try to find out why the generator is being used.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mpgy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks so much for the info. There is no tenants group and the LL didn't appear to believe me. I will attempt to speak to the neighbors about it.
mpgy

Postby TenantNet » Mon May 20, 2013 10:41 am

But remember, if the noise is coming from a neighboring building, then your LL is not at fault, or liable.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mpgy » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

TenantNet wrote:But remember, if the noise is coming from a neighboring building, then your LL is not at fault, or liable.

I realize that, I just went to him first because I'm new to the building and I didn't know who else to contact. Thank you for the reply!
mpgy

Return to NYC General Discussion