TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

NYC Housing investigating illegal # of tenants in building

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

NYC Housing investigating illegal # of tenants in building

Postby DAsh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:47 pm

A couple of people in my building reported our landlord to NYC Housing, because they believe we have an illegal number of tenants in the building and illegal joint leases. I don't know why they would shoot themselves in the foot like that, and am wondering what our fate is going to be, as my lease is up for renewal soon. These apartments are ridiculous cheap for the city and I don't want to lose mine!

Here's the situation:
- All apartments in the building were at some point divided into 2 separate living spaces (probably illegally, each apt is likely smaller than NYC regulation)
- We all have joint leases with the tenant on the other side of the wall
- NYC Housing just left a Notice To Call For Inspection, "Occupancy Contrary. Increased Number of Tenants on Floors"
- Someone from another agency came to inspect a few month before that, and was successful in getting in the building. I believe he was from NYC Buildings.

I'm really worried about our fate. The people who reported the building said they spoke to a tenant advocacy group, who said everything would be fine. I find that very hard to believe.

Can anyone shed light on this? What are the possible outcomes? Is my landlord going to raise the rent in order to bring the apartments up to code? Will they have to knock down the wall & kick one tenant out? What is the best case scenario? And how long does this process take? Do I have another year before the sh*t hits the fan?
DAsh

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm

First, tell us who you mean by "NYC Housing." Do you mean HPD (a city agency) or DHCR (a state agency). Are there DOB (Buildings violations) on the premises? Is there a Certificate of Occupancy? If so, what does it say?

How many tenants are there in the building? How many units? What do you mean by joint leases? Do you mean two people are named as tenants? Are the units rent stabilized? If not, should they be?

Are the units separate. Or is this a rooming house type situation?

Is there a violation with HPD that has been placed? Can you send me the address or block/lot number by private forum mail? (don't post it here).

Who inspected a few months ago? You have to be specific with your information. We can't read your mind. What tenant advocacy group was consulted?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion