TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Squatter in my Apartment - Need Advice

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Squatter in my Apartment - Need Advice

Postby someonesomewhere » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:47 am

I browsed the forums then registered to ask you guys a question... I'll shorten this as much as possible...

I have a 3BR apartment in Brooklyn.. I posted an ad and had someone move in to one of the rooms on May 1st.. we never signed a lease.. landlord fully aware and ok with adding another roommate.. I am the only person on the lease..

Early on the guy caused problems.. to shorten this story as much as possible.. he moved someone else in to the room, I told him this was not ok, she couldn't be there, landlord also said she couldn't be there.. he intentionally flooded the apartment.. left the gas on overnight and nearly caused an explosion.. I told him on June 1st that he had to move out.. it is now nearly July 1st and he is refusing to leave, refusing to pay, and is saying that he has no intentions of leaving...

What do I do? At this point can I legally change the locks and remove his things? Do I have to involve the police and have him removed for trespassing? What are my options...?
someonesomewhere

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

Depends on how long he has been there. If over 30 days, you must go through the legal process. See the Forum Reference section post on illegal evictions. http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5367

If done improperly, you could open yourself up to civil or criminal charges.

Review the information, and perhaps you might get a legal consultation from an experienced tenant attorney.

If he does something illegal, like leave the gas on, then that might open up possibilities to making criminal charges, or getting an order of protection. But you would need to consult with experts to see what is possible.

Our advice is to follow the law.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion