TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Noise Complaint?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Noise Complaint?

Postby KSMITH » Mon May 12, 2003 4:39 pm

My boyfriend and I have an upstairs apt. in a two story building with 4 units. We moved in Nov 2002 . This past weekend we recieved a letter from the management stating that the neighbors were complaining of the noise when our three children were visiting. Our children are up at around 8am and in bed no later than 9:30-10pm. Quiet hours in the lease are from 10pm to 8am. The management knew we had three children and their ages before we moved in. They also knew that they were placing us in a building where the other three apts were rented to retired people. I understand that it could be annoying hearing the noise from above. I've rented a lwr apt before. But can they attempt to evict me just because our kids act like kids? I'm very upset by this and have been a good tenant. I feel ther are certain things you should expect when living in an apt. I do try to keep my kids from running and shouting indoors.I expect that if my neighbors wanted quiet 24-7 then they should have moved to an adult community. Also, if the management wanted quiet 24-7 then they should have made it an adult community. Does anyone know what my legal rights are or where to find out?
KSMITH

Return to NYC General Discussion