TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Loft Law stuff

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Loft Law stuff

Postby seekinghelp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Dear Forum Braintrust,

I'm a tenant in a loft in Williamsburg that would certainly qualify for the loft law. I've lived here as a roommate for two years and pay half the rent via a personal check to the landlord, which he accepts and deposits. My roommate (the leaseholder) and I have talked about applying for the loft law but he is hesitant and worried about rocking the boat. I've been told that the period to apply for loft law protection is about to expire in the spring of 2014 and I'm growing impatient with roommate for fear that we'll miss the opportunity to receive protection and have our commercial space rezoned and authorized. I recently heard that occupants - not just leaseholders - can apply for the loft law. Since the lease is technically illegal, it's not about who holds the lease about who lives in the loft. Is that correct? Can anyone please shed some light on this and if the law allows occupants to apply.

Thank you,
Seeking Help
seekinghelp

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:29 pm

This is a perfect example why we have the policy that posters should continue the original thread .... which, in this case, has information that conflicts with what you say here. Readers are confused and misled.

In the original thread you said absolutely nothing about the unit being in a loft. You also said the roommate on the lease had left and had no intention to return.

So clear up these conflicts please and update us on the old case.

Also, what do you mean by saying the lease is technically illegal.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby seekinghelp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 pm

This a separate situation.

All leases to tenants living in commercial spaces are technically illegal. That's the basis of the loft law, to normalize otherwise illegal dwellings.
seekinghelp

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Please re-read my first reply.

TenantNet

Postby seekinghelp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Like I said, it's a completely separate situation, which I'm inquiring about for my girlfriend. So if you could please address it per its particulars, unrelated to my question from 7 months ago, that would be great. Otherwise, would you prefer I/she re-register as a different user?
seekinghelp

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:16 pm

The problem here is that it's taken you three posts to state it's not for you, but for someone else. We aren't mind readers. And you still haven't explained why or how the lease is illegal?

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion