TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Enforcement of tenants rights

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Enforcement of tenants rights

Postby Emery » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

I have been through the tenant/LL process a number of times now. The last time because the LL , for a number of years, did in house renovations without DOB permits causing my ceiling to collapse resulting in me being vacated.

The judge barely gave a slap on the wrist. DOB gave a $1000.00 fine to the LL (a laughable deterrent given that 10 units in my building have been unlawfully brought to market rate $2200-$3000.00/mo.).

These same LL 's are reported on in local new articles and constantly in court up to the same shenanigans harassing any rent regulated tenant not only the elderly and immigrant population.

In my job I work with architects who must comply with DOB or face job shut down or big fines etc...

I have spoken with community and local politicians and even ran into Sheldon Silver face to face in Frank's bike shop and explained this phenomenon. All were sympathetic but all would do nothing except say "call the office".

I am only giving my personal example but given the stats, (50,000 units of affordable housing lost / year) I am not alone.

I have been practically pushed out the door of DOB when bringing up my situation and the fact that construction goes on without permit.

The housing court judge silenced my tenant advocate Janet Freeman (who has since passed). Another judge threatened to ban her from the court BUILDING not the room. I was there and unbelievably saw it with my own two eyes and heard it with my two ears.

Can anyone please tell me what is really going on?

Can anyone shed some light on my question for me please?

Emery
Emery

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

What is the question? If you are asking if politicians and courts are corrupt and have no interest in doing anything about it, then the answer is yes.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emery » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read my query.
Silly me thinking that such a large group would actually be sincere in their stated intentions.
I sincerely appreciate your sad but true response. It certainly explains a lot whether I like it or not.
Wish there was something I could do in opposition. E
Emery

Return to NYC General Discussion