TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

De Blasio and new City Council re rent increases NYC

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

De Blasio and new City Council re rent increases NYC

Postby enf1945 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Whats going to happen in this area?
sadly not enough was said in the debates about the obscene increases in rents here in NYC especially after Sandy

I seem to remember a City Council bill that was in the works whereby one could sue the landlord for them trying to increase your rent too much( whatever that is). I know it went nowhere with Bloomberg.

any status ?
expanding Stabilization would be the best but that involves Albany

so whats up ?
enf1945

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:32 pm

I suspect they will throw tenants a bone, at lest for the first year. Many see the RGB increases - for RS tenants - as an indicator of where De Blasio and City Council are, but that's just a surface indicator. And ins some areas of town with small buildings, many units are not regulated.

As became quite clear after the primary, De Blasio is VERY close to the real estate industry. There was some public concern about his "liberal" agenda, but that's a lot of nonsense.

The REAL danger to tenants is his development agenda. That remains to be seen, but he has already appointed two individuals, a Deputy Mayor and the Chair of the EDC that indicate a Bloomberg-style development agenda. Plus he promises to bring what is known as mandatory inclusionary Housing (AKA inclusionary Zoning) to NYC. That might sound good to liberal ears, but it can be very dangerous as it is an enabler to bad development, which in itself can force people out of their long-time homes..
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion