TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord withholding crucial infomation upon signing contrac

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord withholding crucial infomation upon signing contrac

Postby zlolly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Last month, we came to NY on a mission to find a midtown apartment with a large outdoor space. After went through many properties, we finally found a TINY, dirty, OLD apartment in midtown west that has over 400 sq ft patio. We repeatedly told the leasing agent we did NOT like the apartment at all, and for the same price, we could get much nicer and newer and bigger apartment in midtown, we were ONLY signing the contract because of the outdoor space.

2 weeks after we moved in, we received a notice that the building will start doing facade work and we must remove all our outdoor furniture by the begging of next week! After we just spent over $4k on outdoor furniture! And the construction will last all the way till this winter!

Later, we found out that the building management (this is one of top/famous management company/developer) and leasing agent knew this issue over 6 months ago. So they knew the whole entire time that we were going to lose the outdoor space!

Is it fair to say that we just got evicted and lost the usage of 40% of our apartment?
Does the contract still valid?

I work from home, I use the patio space as my painting studio, my only source of income.

I'm not asking for a lot, all I want is for them to find me a comparable apartment with gym and full time doorman and the similar sq footage outdoor space within a reasonable distant for the same price plus the moving cost. Because that was what I signed for.

Not only they have been dragging the issues for weeks now, they offered to reduce our rent, but the amount was ridiculously/insultingly low! Reducing the rent cannot solve my painting studio issue at all!

Any suggestions? Has anybody had similar shituation before?
zlolly

Re: Landlord withholding crucial infomation upon signing con

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm not wanting to be rude, dismissive or flippant here. But seriously, if you can afford to spend $4,000 on outdoor furniture, you can spend a few bucks to have your lease reviewed by an attorney to see if the owner is in breach of the lease. It all depends on the wording of the lease and what representations were make by the LL and/or broker.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion