TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

HDFC CO-OP HOLDOVER

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

HDFC CO-OP HOLDOVER

Postby July713 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:28 pm

I am in a co-op holdover case. I took down a wall in my apt. The former board prez gave me written permission for the sheetrock only. The current board prez and I had past history. The previous board prez tenant did not obtain an alteration agreement from me. I signed it with some changes for the current board prez. I refused to give a deposit. I am a first time homeowner and new nothing about DOB, insurance, and contractors. and was not told until I got into an altercation with the current board prez. She was on the board b4 but not prez. They asked me no questions when I asked to take down the sheetrock. I had estimated the job to cost $100. It only needed electricians to cut the wires. I submitted an architect stamped letter that the wall was non-load bearing. DOB does not request a permit for non-structural alteration, meaning minor work which this qualifies. Anyway, I am in housing court with the threat to have my lease terminated. I had signed a stipulation agreement, but that went haywire and am now on schedule for trial. When I signed the stipulation the co-ops lawyer said that I had removed the studs. In the pettition they never referred to the studs, only the wall. And I had kept repeating but I obtained permission. I knew they were going to surprise me in court. Anyway, I am sick of them. they have entered my apt. illegally, conveniently lost my mtn check resulting in the loss of voting for the board (I got it back), and just really harassed me. So I am fighting. I am broke which should be obvious that I live in an HDFC. The gave me a cure to restore the wall, but when I stated why do I have to put up the wall w/o a deposit but am not allowed to finish what I started w/o a deposit, they then sent me a letter requesting the deposit again. Anyway, I am circling a pretty affordable attorney - meaning $150 an hour as opposed to $300. Not really affordable for me, but I am sick of the abuse. Anyway, as I am researching this, I have come across cases vs. HDFC where the tenant won b/c the HDFC was entertwined with the gov't and the HDFC found to denied them their rights due to not serving them of notice of termination and going against the principles of HDFC which is to house the poor. The victim/respondent was a renter. I am a shareholder and although my co-op is NOT entertwined w/ the gov't meaning they do not help my co-op in operations it is an HDFC and was established to house the poor. Thus I am thinking I can use this argument for myself, b/c they were given gov't assistance. In the case I belive it's Grimmet or Hussein that they were not given the reasons for termination. I was given a very "confusing" notice. To me studs is not a wall and is something that I could easily rectified. I know I can use the arguement of reasonableness, b/c it surely seems unreasonable to me, but am looking for more. Aslo, in the HPD it states that BOD can not do anything for private benefit. To me the prez used her position to carry out her personal vendetta which goes again to reasonableness as well. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, anyone know any less than $300 an hour attorney w/ HDFC experience. And what is the probability I will get reimbursed in attorney fess from housing court if I won?
July713

Re: HDFC CO-OP HOLDOVER

Postby July713 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:29 pm

correction: I estimated the costs to be $1000. After being given the alteration agreement after I removed the sheetrock I was then given the requirements. It meant my costs were tripled.
July713

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:18 pm

One way to make sure no one reads your post is to post an entire book without paragraph breaks (and probably too much information). Get to the point, leave out extraneous stuff and break it up. As it is now I won't even attempt to read this.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby July713 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:15 pm

U probably shouldn't speak for everyone. Trust no loss.
July713

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 am

Yet another way is to piss-off the Forum Administrator. Thread Locked.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion