TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

can i stay in apartment

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

can i stay in apartment

Postby nfh+dc » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Bensonhurst Brooklyn, parents moved in 1985, multi family 2 bedroom apt.His father passed years ago, he moved back in with her 10+ years ago. Mother has just passed away 7/2014, landlord called and asked if he needed help cleaning out apt. He said I live here, she said no he didn't. She has accepted and cashed his personal check for rent the last 7 months ( mom in nursing home ). She said if he was gonna stay then rent was to going to be raised around $500 month. IS THIS LEGAL? I told him to not willingly move out or pay any increase without proper notice. Should he get a lawyer, is there another way to handle it. I do not know about rent control, etc..... I am his friend in Florida, went to the funeral and that was the day she called. Where does he go from here, someone please give me any direction to where or who he should contact
nfh+dc

Re: can i stay in apartment

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Moving this to NYC (not NYS)

It would probably help for him to get an attorney. Look at the ones who advertise on this site.

It will depend on if the unit is rent stabilized (probably) and the strength of his succession claim (seems strong). Do not let landlord walk all over you.

LL must go to court and cannot lock someone out, or move out possessions. Call the cops if that happens.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion