TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Need help reporting a landlord to the city

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Need help reporting a landlord to the city

Postby thegameksk » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi. I just moved into my current apartment 1 month ago. Upon moving in I noticed the under the sink is all moldy. I showed the landlord and he said in a month and a half he would put a new one in. Fast forward to now and this place is a disaster. Infested with cock roaches. We spray everyday and night and we still keep seeing live ones. Our neighbors downstairs told me they have rats. Thank god we didnt see any here yet and I just spent today caulking/foaming any and all holes that are here. I called the landlord today because he put up a sign yesterday saying an exterminator is coming Saturday. Me and my roommate both work saturday. I told landlord this and he told me then dont complain if you get mice/rats. He told me thats the date and if no one can be here its not his issue. After hearing this we had some back and forth and I asked about the sink. He told me next month. I said you mean October? His response was before Christmas. At this point I lost it and told him No, it's a moldy sink which is a health issue. You told me one month and a half now you tell me before Christmas. His response then was i'll do it when I have time. We are planning on moving out and we are starting to look at different apartments. In the meantime what can I do about the sink and the other issues? Can I withhold rent? How do I go about filing a complaint?
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Need help reporting a landlord to the city

Postby TenantNet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Start by calling 311 and get an inspector. Welcome to NYC. You can withhold rent, but be prepared to go to court.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9418
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Re: Need help reporting a landlord to the city

Postby mgalka » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:33 am

Calling 311 should put some pressure on him.

If you really want to do everything you can, you can also call the Public Advocate, your City Council rep, and your borough president. All three of them handle landlord issues to varying degrees.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:01 am

Return to NYC General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests