TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

The perennial noise problem

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: The perennial noise problem

Postby HardKnocks » Mon May 26, 2003 11:52 am

It's enjoyment of your home, but clearly not "quiet" enjoyment... ;-)

That's the biggest problem in NYC, IMHO. No one is willing to make the tiniest compromise to avoid disturbing someone else. The whole attitude is "I'll do what I want, when I want... and if you don't like it, too bad." It's like, if I feel like cleaning out my closet at 3am, that's my right because I pay my rent. There's this underlying idea that paying your rent entitles you to do whatever you want at any time of the day or night, regardless of anyone else. Much like baseball fans feel that paying for a ticket entitles them to yell abuse and throw things at players. It's crazy.

There's a reason unconventional hours are called just that. Just like there's a reason that it's generally accepted that midnight is too late to be making noise. Just because your schedule differs from the norm doesn't mean you have a "right" to disturb people at odd hours (which are so named for a reason). On the contrary... it leaves you with the RESPONSIBILITY of NOT disturbing people if you can in any way avoid doing so.

There's times when I have to leave at daybreak for a business trip. And at those times I shower at night before bed, have everything packed and by the door before bed, and tiptoe around. Because although I have to be up at 4:30, that doesn't mean all my neighbors should have to be up too. The world doesn't revolve around my odd schedule; nor should the lives of others.

The people next door to me have a baby. Although I have a "right" to blast my TV or play music at 9pm, I wouldn't--in deference to their situation. In my last apt., under my bedroom was the bedroom of a child--so I was especially careful to be quiet after 8pm. I didn't have to. I was within my "rights" not to. But it didn't kill me to be courteous, polite and considerate. (The sick part? These people had a big dog that barked 24-7. They refused to do anything about it--or even admit to it--and were always rude to me. Yet that didn't change my behavior toward them and the fact that their child slept below me.)

I used to be different when I was young... I used to think that no one else mattered but me. Then I grew up.
HardKnocks

Previous

Return to NYC General Discussion