TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Renovation times

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Renovation times

Postby gpmwalker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 pm

My landlord has been doing major renovations for the past two months, 12 hours a day, weekends and holidays. It is a small building so if I report him my lease will probably not be renewed but I can't afford to move again. Is there anything I can do about this? Thank you.
Last edited by gpmwalker on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpmwalker

Re: Renovation times

Postby TenantNet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Work times are regulated by the Department of Buildings. Generally the allowable start time is 7 AM. I'm not sure of the allowable end time, but it might be 7 PM.

Work is not allowed on weekends (and I presume holidays) without express permission by the Dept. of Buildings. The owner must apply for, and be granted a permit for weekend work. (that has a start time of 9 AM if I remember correctly).

For complaints make them by calling 311. You may have to follow-up and nag 311 and DOB as neither seem to do their job properly. Call your local community board and elected officials for help.

You can check the Building Information Service (BIS) at http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/bsqpm01.jsp to see what permits the LL has been granted. You will likely need you block and lot number.

If there are 6+ tenants in your building, it's possible you might be rent stabilized (no matter what the LL says) Look into this as it gives you lease renewal protections.

BTW, you can complain anonymously with 311 (unless the problem is inside your apartment).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Renovation times

Postby gpmwalker » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Thank you so much for the info and the speedy reply. I will definitely check into this (especially the rent stabilization). I really appreciate it.
gpmwalker

Return to NYC General Discussion