TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can my landlord increase my rent 825.00?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Can my landlord increase my rent 825.00?

Postby dawnosmith » Tue May 05, 2015 9:37 am

My current rent is 1375 monthly. My old landlord sold building in March 2015. He did not give me a new Lease. My last lease expired sept 2014. The new landlord informed me today via email that my rent would raise to 2200.00 effective July 1 or I would have to move. Is this possible? I have lived here for 7 years. I am on dialysis and even though I work it is impossible for me to pay this!

I have requested the rent roll for my apartment to determine if I am rent stabilized. When they 1st took the building they sent me rent bills of 1450 to John Doe, they didn't even know my name. They willfully cashed my rent checks that have my name, address and apartment number on them as well as me putting that information in the memo. What can I do? Where do I turn? Even if I decided to move July does not give me enough time to find something I can afford and save up for a move.

Is it possible for them to raise my rent 825.00 when I haven't even had a paint job in the 7 years I have lived here. My apartment needs extensive repairs and to pay 2200.00 per month in a building where they don't even mop the hallways. I live in a 6 family building in Brooklyn. Our new owner has tangled with the Tenant Protection Unit before, I tried researching more on them when they 1st brought the building. This is the norm in my neighborhood, buy a building, force out the tenants and gut it, reno it and charge up the wazoo for rent. 2 of my neighbors have been in the building for over 30 years. We are hard working, quiet neighbors. I just don't know what to do next. Right now i'm waiting for the documentation to find out if my apartment is rent stabilzed. Any information would be most appreciated.

Thank you
dawnosmith

Re: Can my landlord increase my rent 825.00?

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 05, 2015 11:07 am

Before we reply, you must change your username to something that does not resemble your name or your email address. See our forum rules on this. Otherwise your identity is at risk. Please do this ASAP. This is good advice anywhere on the internet.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion