TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Limits on open houses?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Limits on open houses?

Postby WesternCowboy » Thu May 28, 2015 1:50 am

My lease on a market-rate apartment expires at the end of June. My landlord wants to show my apartment to prospective new tenants. While I understand this, the number of open houses has become numerous--4 times in the past week. My lease allows for the landlord to show the apartment but does not specify frequency. May I decline my landlord's plan ("requests") to show the apartment so many times per week?
WesternCowboy

Re: Limits on open houses?

Postby TenantNet » Thu May 28, 2015 7:52 am

First, I'm assuming you are planning to leave the unit. Unless written in the lease, you have no automatic right to a renewal.

On access, see the posts on access in the forum's reference section (I think there are two separate threads). http://tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7789
and http://tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4837

Look for LLs right to access for showing or inspection. Requests should be in advance and in writing.

While a LL does have certain rights to access, I take it as a negotiation. You have a right to be there (I would insist), on your own timetable, but usually during business hours, although after business hours is permissible if you agree and the request is reasonable.

The LL does not have a right to use their own keys without your knowledge or permission, unless it's an emergency, which this is not. Some tenants even change the locks.

The LL will scream bloody murder, but you have to insist. Yes, they can take you to court, but you're leaving anyway, right? Explain to them it's better to do it your way and that you intend to be reasonable. But also explain that 4X/week is too much.

I would set aside 2 hours during the week and 2 hours on weekends and let them know that is the available times. Put it in writing. And again, insist that you be present.

Now I can't say what's legal or not and I'm not aware of any case on this. But the point is to be reasonable and give the LL access, but not unfettered access. And document everything.

Finanny read the forum and reference section on how to leave the unit, in particular on final inspections and walk-throughs, taking photos of everything, witnesses, and returning keys. That has to do with your security deposit.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion