TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about fire escape routes

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about fire escape routes

Postby gpmwalker » Sun May 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Hello, I'm on the top floor of a 6 floor building and there's an open staircase and there are no fire escapes (from the apartments or the roof). I've never lived in a building w/o a fire escape before and just assumed that they were there, but that's my mistake for not checking before I signed the lease. My question is, what do I do if there's a fire and can't get down the stairs? Is the roof really a smart place to go if the building below it is on fire?
gpmwalker

Re: Question about fire escape routes

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 31, 2015 7:21 pm

Multiple dwellings must have two means of egress ... and this applies to all dwellings, whether rent stab, unregulated rental or coop/condo.

Fire escapes can be interior as well as long as there are firewalls between the two means of egress. We know of one apartment without any exterior fire escape, but the unit has two doors that open to different hallways that are separated by fire doors. And each of those hallways has it's own interior stairs.

There are exceptions, and that usually is in high rises with a combination of fireproof materials, interior fire escapes and sprinklers.

For details on what is required -- as well as whether your building meets code - contact the public information department of the FDNY.

Here is the fire escape law:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/r ... _15-10.pdf
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Question about fire escape routes

Postby gpmwalker » Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed info and the link, I really appreciate it!
gpmwalker

Return to NYC General Discussion